Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Youtube Killed the Video Star. How Artist are Making it Today


Artist today have found new ways to get fans and become popular through things like Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube. They have great way of entertaining people through these social medias. The internet give them great alternatives other than a music video or radio station. I have a friend that did a video and posted it on Youtube, and he is marketing it with social media such as Instagram and Twitter. A lot of main stream entertainers such as Drake, Kanye West, and Wale all have used Youtube as a mean to make a music video or promote something their about to come out with. But Independent entertainers have to work twice as hard and have to make a video that's appealing because their not getting funded the money that these main stream artist are.
The artist videos are getting viewed because of the artist are getting people to subscribe to their Youtubes or follow them on Twitter. Its all about marketing, they introduce their self and have to present something that the people want to see or hear. I believe this phenomenon will affect the record companies because its difficult to work with record companies even though they finance you and you can do your way even though you may not reach out to many people. Youtube is great because anyone can be a star overnight with this website and its free. Even though it has its benefits, its definitely destroying the marketing plans because people are taking upon themselves to promote whatever they want on their own, and that takes a lot from the record company. Its saying we don't need your help when it comes to marketing especially when its working. My personal opinion its beneficial and I stand behind 100% because of how difficult it is to get signed by a major record deal. I have even promoted things on Youtube like my highlight tape for basketball without, people would haven't seen me play or get any exposure.  

1 comment:

  1. I like the ways the bands today get new fans but I still do miss hanging out in the music stores. I have a box of albums put in a tote that are actually worth lots of money. I use to be like a groupie and follow the groups from state to state but this was only the bands that I really liked such as Kiss or Ozzy Osbourne. I hate that MTV is now basically just reality TV and doesn't show music videos anymore. We use to have dances at school that we would have specifically called Video Dances and we would dance the same way as they did on the videos and pretend to be the musicians. I miss those days!!

    ReplyDelete